Ayurvedic Herbs that aid better sleep
By Kritik Thakur
Apr 25 2021 01:28 PM
If you need a good night's sleep, consider using the following herbs - Ashwagandha, Chamomile Flower, Valerian Root, Passion Flower & Lemon Balm.
A faster and better sleep starts with the right food choices. Ayurveda recommends these natural sleep aids for curing Insomnia,Restless leg syndrome and other sleep disorders.
In this fast paced, ambitious world of searching something better have you also lost your sleep pattern ?
Sedentary lifestyles, too much work related stress has started affecting our sleep patterns resulting in stress, anxiety and insomnia.
According to Ayurveda, there are three pillars of healthy life – Food, conscious relationship and sleep.
When we have a lot of thoughts spiraling in our head, it becomes impossible to relax which weakens our immune system and affects our productivity. Thus, it is important to release stress and induce good sleep.
Here's a list of Ayurvedic herbs that will help us get better sleep-
- ASHWAGANDHA – It is a therapeutic adaptogen that helps the human body to deal with stressors, physically and mentally. Leaves of Ashwagandha contain triethylene glycol which promotes sleep induction, improves quality of sleep and helps in treating insomnia.
- CHAMOMILE FLOWER – The dried flowers contain flavonoids that act as mild tranquilizer. It provides calming affect due to antioxidant called apigenin. It can work as benzodiazepine, prescription drugs that can reduce anxiety and induce sleep.
- VALERIAN ROOT – It helps in increasing the level of neurotransmitter called gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) which provides calmness and tranquility with no adverse side effects. It contains antioxidants that has sedative and sleep enhancing properties.
- LEMON BALM – An aromatic herb which increases GABA levels thus, initiating sedation. It may decrease insomnia related diseases.
- PASSSION FLOWER – Dried leaves and stem of Passiflora plant is used to alleviate anxiety and improve sleep.